Quotation Blog #3

Freedom: My Book Of Firsts by Jaycee Dugard 

Jaycee Dugard was only eleven years old when she was abducted by Philip and Nancy Garrido. She was held in a shed in their backyard where she was raped almost daily at the hands of Philip Garrido. She gave birth to two daughters fathered by Garrido, the first when she was only thirteen years old. Jaycee lived in captivity for eighteen years with her daughters. She was taken on June 10, 1991 and found by the authorities on August 26, 2009. 

"These events happened so many years ago. Even though I am well into my thirties now, I can still close my eyes and relive these events as if they just happened yesterday. These are moments ingrained into my psyche and cannot be erased. I chose not to let them take over my life now. And I choose to create new, better memories. Memories that will eventually outweigh these bad memories until they are nothing but dust in the air" (Dugard 17). 

Dugard is showing a very positive outlook for not only those who have experienced severe trauma, but all people. She realizes the abuse she suffered is unforgettable and will be a part of her forever, but she does not let it define her. She has made a conscious decision to make happy memories and experiences instead of focusing on her past trauma. She plans to live life to the fullest extent so it can outweigh her bad memories.

I find Dugard's attitude towards life after her ordeal astounding. She was sexually assaulted for eighteen years, day in and day out. Most average teens complain about the hardships of high school and life, but thinking about what Dugard went through at my age really puts my problems into perspective. High school drama and schoolwork are minuscule problems when one puts themselves in her shoes. When I think about the growth I have made as a person from when I was eleven (Dugard was eleven when she was abducted) to now, it was crucial for me. She was not able to experience the outside world and growth into adulthood, normal sexual exploration, social interaction and everything else all of us were able to. Although drama can be stressful at times, we are lucky to be surrounded by people who love us, to have clothes on our back, and the countless other things we are blessed with. Rape victims suffer for the rest of their lives mentally and physically, and often are unable to recover, so seeing her as such a positive person is not only incredible, but empowering. When I think about enduring what she did and reading about how she lives her life now, it reminds me to be grateful and positive. Anyone who is reading this, let go of the little things, remind yourself of your blessings, and chose to live a optimistic life because Dugard is able to be positive after suffering unimaginable abuse.


Comments

  1. This is really interesting to read about! wow... some crazy things happen in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a little behind. Try to keep working more and the blog will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kaylee this is cool

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she has another book, right? _A Stolen Life_? Isn't that one by or about her? It's an awful story, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is her first book, it was about her life in captivity and Freedom is about her life after.

      Delete
  5. This shows that PTSD does not just come at the hands of war. Any traumatic event can cause these haunting flashbacks, but this is by far the worst case I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! Keep working!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is honestly disgusting, I cannot believe that this could happen. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quotation Blog #1

Analytical Blog #7